Friday, May 17, 2013

Day 6


Today we took the train to Tamkang University.  We meet up with a group of freshman and sophomore accounting students to spend the whole day with us.  They took us on a tour of their campus, which was very clean since the freshman students are required to clean at least once a week.  Talking with the students was a little difficult at times but an awesome experience.  I found myself slowing down my sentences, repeating what I said in different ways, and using my hands.  We walk though a few gardens and their maritime museum.  We then had a special lecture on communication.  The teacher explained some of the major differences between Asian and Western speech.  We played 3 games of telephone with groups of only Chinese, only US, and mixed students.  Surprisingly the only US and mixed students did not do so well.  I figured only the mixed group would have an issue.  We then went to eat lunch in the school cafeteria.  It was very difficult to find food that I wanted because they did not have pictures or English at any of the restaurants.  My buddy (Li) helped me find chicken and noodles, which were both really good.  Many of the guys tried pigs blood, but based on their reactions I did not try it.  Then we boarded on a bus to go to see more of the port in Tamsui.  We walked down the streets with old buildings and the students told us highlights as we toured the city.  We made a quick stop for tall ice cream then headed to the Fuyou Temple.  As we learned prior, you enter a temple from the right side.  Li explained that a person can ask for something from God by lighting incense, saying it in their mind, and bowing three time with their hands pressed together.  We learned about Reverend/doctor Mackay and toured the old hospital building.  Then we saw the Little White House.  I am not sure what the significance was but it had to do with Customes. Then we walk through Oxford College.  We ended the walking tour at Fort San Domingo.  On the walk back to the train we were introduced to "iron eggs" which are duck eggs that have been pickled and are black in color.  No one was brave enough to try them.  For dinner I tried the chicken as big as your head.  It was really good till I got to the bones at the bottom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment