Sunday, May 19, 2013

Day 8


Today was our last day in Taipei.  We had most of the day free to do whatever we wanted.  I really wanted to go to the beach but unfortunately we woke up to rain.  The group split up and went separate ways.  I went to see a movie, go to the largest book store (eslite) and the plan was to stop at SMS memorial hall on the way back.  I wanted to see a movie for a few reasons - the popcorn, rest my legs and feet from all the walking we have been doing and to see how they experience English movies with subtitles.  Theresa and I went to see “The Great Gatsby.”  The popcorn was just like you would eat at a fair.  It did not have movie theater butter but it was still good.  The sizes were smaller than in the US and I did find it strange that they offered fresh caramel corn as well.  After the movie (the sun actually came out) we went to the eslite bookstore, which was basically a mall/bookstore.  There were 6 levels of books/shops and the lower level was a food court. 
We ate dinner at the food court and headed to the National Dr. Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall, but the museum was closing.  We did get to walk around the grounds then headed back to the hotel to get our luggage.  I forgot that we didn’t get to go to the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall on the first day to see the changing of the guards, but we did pass it on at least two of our bus rides. 
 
We took the bullet train from Taipei to Taichung.  The ride lasted 50 minutes and the top speed I saw displayed was 265 km/hour.  We all took taxies to the TungHai University Alumni House, the hotel we will be at until Thursday.  This university is were Professor Peng went to school.  I cannot wait to see the campus tomorrow because I have heard repeatedly it is the most beautiful campus.


No comments:

Post a Comment